Getting creative with salads is an absolute pleasure. I love just throwing (not literally) lots of random vegetables into my basket in the green grocers and then deciding what to do with them later.
Last night I wanted to do something with tofu and kale. I also had a handful of beautiful ripe salad tomatoes which I thought would be ideal for adding some colour – so I decided to try out a new salad.
I’m very fond of mixing new salad dressings and also cooking my tofu nice and crunchy with an interesting flavour. So I decided to fry cubes of the lovely stuff in hot sesame oil, turning regularly so all sides became golden and crisp!
Meanwhile, I mixed kale and watercress in a large bowl with the tomatoes, adding a tin of butter beans for some additional substance and texture.
Finally, for the dressing I beat up some tahini, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and oil, to make a slightly sharp, but creamy and nutty dressing which works well over any green leaves.
My rule with salads is – anything goes! I quite often add in whatever ingredients are going, whether it be raw broccoli, pine nuts, avocado, raw carrot, peppers, chick peas… then just make a simple vinaigrette to top it with.
The final dish felt incredibly healthy, wholesome and flavoursome. I hope you like it as much as we did.
Sesame Tofu and Greens Salad with Tomatoes and Tahini Dressing
Serves 2 as a main meal or 4 as a side dish
Preparation/cooking time 20 mins
1 block firm tofu, patted dry with a clean tea towel, then cubed
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp soya sauce
2 handfuls kale, washed and chopped
2 handfuls watercress, washed and chopped
3 salad tomatoes, quartered
1 tin butter beans, drained
1 small red chilli, finely chopped
1 tbsp tahini paste
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan and fry tofu on a medium-high heat for 10-15 mins, turning regularly so all sides turn crisp and golden brown. Add the soya sauce, mix in well, then set aside.
2. Meanwhile, mix together greens, tomatoes, beans and chilli in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a small bowl, beat together all dressing ingredients.
4. When tofu has cooled, mix it in with the rest of the salad ingredients and then transfer everything onto a nice plate or bowl to serve.
5. Drizzle the dressing over the top and enjoy with fresh bread.