A couple of weeks ago I brought an icing piping set as I thought it was about time I got to grips with icing cakes big and small.
It’s been going quite well, I’ve learned a couple of lessons, like making sure the nozzles are attached to the end properly before you begin and checking the icing isn’t too firm or too soft (either from being in or out of the fridge for too long).
I’ve made two batches of cupcakes recently to practice icing, the first, vanilla sponge with chocolate topping and the second chocolate sponge with orange icing – which I decorated with a Halloween theme.
My vegan icing is made from half solid vegetable fat and half vegan marg, mixed with lots of icing sugar. I used Writing Icing to decorate the Halloween Cupcakes. The sponge uses vegetable oil and triumphs with no egg or butter!
Here’s a recipe for the Halloween Cupcakes. You could experiment with different flavourings and colours for the icing. I use cups for baking as I find it quicker than measuring everything out on scales.
Indulgent Choc Orange Halloween Cupcakes
40 mins plus decorating time
1 cup soya milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsps vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Icing for piping
1/2 cup solid vegetable fat eg Trex
1/2 cup vegan margarine
3 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 tsp orange extract
1/4 cup soya milk
Orange food colouring (use as directed on packed)
Decoration: Coloured Writing Icing.
1. Preheat your oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Line a cupcake tin with 10-12 Halloween-theme paper cases.
2. Take two mixing bowls. In the first, using a hand whisk, whisk the soya milk and vinegar together till foamy and set aside.
3. Sift the dry ingredients into the second.
4. Now, add the sugar, oil and vanilla extract to the soya milk and vinegar and whisk again.
5. Using a wooden spoon, gradually add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, stirring well to leave you with a smooth, lump free mixture.
6. Fill each paper case 3/4 with mixture and place in the oven for around 20-22 mins. Get out a wire rack to cool the cupcakes on when they come out of the oven. They are ready when a skewer inserted in one comes out clean.
7. Meanwhile, make the icing. Beat the veg fat and marg together in a bowl. Gradually sift in the icing sugar and beat for about three mins.
8. Finally add in the soya milk, orange extract and colouring and beat for another 5-7 mins until fluffy.
9. Fit your piping bag with its nozzle, then spoon in the icing. Shake it downwards and twist the bag from the top, so all the icing gathers at the bottom. Place in the fridge until you are ready to use. Wait until the cupcakes have cooled before you ice them. Have fun decorating!