You’d never guess that making vegan mince pies would be so easy! let this quick mince pie recipe show you how. Believe it or not, a lot of mincemeat is actually animal-free, using vegetable suet. Sainsburys own brand for example, is suitable and very cheap.
Now you can easily make your own shortcrust pastry, by using vegetable margarine and flour, or you can cheat by buying ready-made shortcrust pastry, such as Jus Rol. Many supermarket own brand varieites are also incidentally vegan, using only vegetable oils.
Some shop-brought mince pies themselves are vegan, including ASDA and Sainsburys basics. Always check the labels.
Viva!’s Vegetarian Recipe Club have a fabulous recipe for mince pies, making your own pastry, but here is a really quick one using the ready-made option.
Quick Vegan Mince Pies
Preparation/cooking time 35 mins
1 packet shortcrust pastry (such as Jus Rol)
1 small jar mincemeat (check it uses veg suet)
Soya milk to glaze
1. Preheat your oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6. Lightly grease a 12 hole cake tin.
2. Take two cutters, around 5 and 4cm wide. My smaller cutter was a flower shape. Cut out 12 circles in the pastry using each one.
3. Lay the large circles down into the tin, pressing in around the sides and the bottom.
4. Spoon 1 tsp of mincemeat into each case. Brush a little soya milk around the top edges, then lay the smaller circles of pastry over the top. Pinch lightly to seal the two pieces together around each pie. You don’t need to try to do this if your pie top is a shape (pictured).
5. Bake for 18-20 mins until lightly golden. Remove from the oven.
6. Sift a little icing sugar onto the top of the pies, remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
7. Serve with a little soya cream.