There is nothing worse than running out of bread! yes, I’m sure there is, but if you do, there is a really quick solution this Christmas. These little savoury scones are a wonderful thing to make if you need something bread-like and savoury to spread with hummus or dip in some warm soup.
You could easily flavour them with many different things, including olives, onions, vegan cheese, roasted vegetables… the possibilities are endless. I’ve made them pretty using a heart-shaped pastry cutter. They taste really good and can be on the table within half an hour.
Savoury Scones with Sun-dried Tomato and Rosemary
Preparation/cooking time less than 30 mins
225g/8oz self-raising flour
3 tsp toasted soya flour
45g/1½oz vegan margarine
1 tbsp rosemary, chopped finely
3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
6 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
¼ tsp salt
Pinch black pepper
150ml/4¼fl oz soya milk, plus extra for glazing
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
2. Sift the flour, soya flour and baking powder into a large bowl, and rub in the margarine.
3. Add the rosemary, yeast flakes, tomatoes, salt & pepper and mix together.
4. Make a well in the middle of the mixture, and slowly pour in the soya milk, stirring with a wooden spoon. Bring the mixture together until it forms a dough.
5. On a clean work surface , knead the dough for five minutes. I added all my ingredients to my Magimix and let the food processor do the work, pulsing 5 times. Roll out your dough to a thickness of about 2.5cm/1in and cut out the scones using your selected cutter. A star shape would work well too!
6. Place the rounds on a greased and floured non-stick baking tray, and brush tops with soya milk
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes in oven and serve immediately. They are great to eat with soup or dips.