Spinach and Two Cheese Cannelloni
Preparation/cooking time 1 hour
2 tbsp vegan margarine
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 large bag spinach
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp Italian herb seasoning, or dried oregano
2 tbsp soya or other non-dairy milk
2 tins chopped tomatoes
Pinch of sugar
Sprig of fresh basil, chopped, or 1 tsp dried basil
1 packet Vegusto No-Moo Melty (400g)
12 cannelloni tubes
Salt and cracked black pepper
1 packet Vegusto No-Moo Sauce
You will need: 1 square oven dish (of around 10”x8”) and a piping bag with wide nozzle, (or you can use a plastic sandwich bag with the corner snipped off)
1. Preheat your oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
2. Melt the margarine in a medium-sized saucepan, then add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
3. Gradually add in the spinach, a handful at a time, stirring, so it begins to wilt down in its own moisture. Continue until the whole bag has been added and stir in the nutmeg, Italian seasoning and then season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and set aside.
4. Add the tomatoes to a small saucepan, with the sugar and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Bring them to the boil, then turn down to simmer for 15 minutes with the lid off, so they reduce and thicken.
6. Turn the cooled spinach onto a board and roughly chop it, before returning to the pan.
7. Crumble the No-Moo Melty into the spinach. Turn onto a medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon. Mix until the spinach is smooth and creamy, adding the soya milk to thin the mixture slightly. Turn off the heat when all the cheese has melted.
8. Grease the oven dish and then pour in the tomatoes.
9. Spoon the spinach mixture into your piping bag, holding the nozzle flat so mixture doesn’t leak out. Fold the top of the bag down so you can squeeze the mixture down gradually.
10. Pipe spinach mixture into each cannelloni tube, ensuring it fills the entire length of each one.
11. Arrange the tubes in the tomato sauce.
12. When all the tubes are filed and in place, pour the No-Moo Sauce evenly all over the top. You can smooth it off with a pallet knife and top with a few extra herbs and black pepper.
13. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a knife inserted into the pasta goes in easily and the top is nice and golden.
14. Serve with garlic bread or salad.
Extra option: Top with some grated Vegusto Piquant, or Nutritional Yeast Flakes.