I am lucky enough to be spending some time at a lovely Ashram in West Wales once a month as I train to become a yoga teacher. One of the nicest parts of my time there is enjoying the traditional Indian cooking of Surender, our teacher and helping to make pots of comforting spiced chai. I’ve started making some every morning, so I thought I’d share the recipe with you all.
Soya Spiced Chai
2 cardamom pods
1cm fresh ginger,
1/4 star anise
Small piece cinnamon stick
2 white pepper corns
2 tea bags, either normal tea or use Redbush for a caffeine-free version
2 mugs water
1 mug soya milk
2 tbsp brown sugar
1. Grind together all your spices in a mortar and pestle, or small electric grinder.
2. Place them in a saucepan, with the tea bags and water.
3. Bring it to the boil, then turn down to simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Now remove the tea bags and add the soya milk. Continue to simmer for another 5 minutes so all the flavours infuse.
5. Add the sugar and stir.
6. Serve hot into cups through a tea-strainer.