I’m a great fan of really quick homemade bread. When I was given this recipe I couldn’t believe I haven’t made my own soda bread before! I remember eating it as a child and loving it warm with butter.
This recipe, inspired by one that recently appeared in The Guardian, bought back all the memories.
200g wholemeal flour
100g strong white flour
1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
1 tsp poppy seeds
1 tsp caraway seeds
240ml almond milk
Oats to top
1. Pre heat oven to 200ºC/Gas Mark 4.
2. Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl, then add the almond milk gradually stirring with a wooden spoon.
3. Bring together to form a dough and knead in the bowl.
4. Shape into a small flat round and place on a floured baking tray.
5. Score a cross on the top of the loaf and top with oats.
6. Bake for 20-25 mins. Enjoy warm or toasted with vegetable margarine.