The sun is shining and my heart is calling for all things salad. I’ve even been successful in cultivating my own baby basil, rocket and coriander plants this year, so my balcony is looking plentiful.
Some homegrown herbs helped make this salad as glorious as it looks. Simple quinoa is combined with cannellini beans, spring onions, vine tomatoes, broccoli and basil, dressed with a mustard vinaigrette and toasted mixed seeds. Pack a punch of protein, vitamin c and omegas with this wholesome party of ingredients.
1 cup quinoa, cooked according to packet instructions (usually around 10 mins)
1 cup cooked cannellini beans, drained
1 spring onion, finely chopped
1 medium vine tomato, roughly chopped
Handful of broccoli florets (raw) broken into small pieces
2 tbsp chopped basil
3 tbsp mixed seeds
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions. The grains should be open and the little water they are cooked in should have been soaked up.
2. Dry toast the seeds in a saucepan for a couple of minutes until they begin popping. Watch they don’t burn! Turn with wooden spoon.
3. Place the quinoa in a bowl, then mix in the remaining salad ingredients, apart from the seeds.
4. Make the dressing by mixing together its ingredients in a small cup, then pouring over the salad. Combine well using a spoon.
5. Serve into 2 bowls, then sprinkle the seeds over the top.