For several years now I’ve been experimenting with different options for the centre piece of Christmas dinner. A common favourite is Viva!’s Chestnut Pate en Croute. But this year I fancied trying a new take on the good old nut roast – by adding some juicy cranberries, smoked tofu and toasted pine nuts.
A little cheat, to help make this dish super quick and convenient to prepare while your busy sorting out all your other Christmas day food: the basis for this recipe is a Nut Roast Mix from Suma Wholefoods. It makes a wonderful nutty, juicy and flavoursome main course for any seasonal roast dinner. I also baked the nut roasts in individual metal pie pots, making four separate attractive portions.
You could also use any other nut roast mix available in health stores or supermarkets. Suma also do a gluten-free nut roast mix.
Cranberry, Toasted Pinenut and Smoked Tofu Nut Roasts
Preparation/cooking time 45 mins
370g Suma Nut Roast Mix
30g sweetened cranberries
100g Viana Real Smoked Tofu, cut into small cubes
3 tbsp pinenuts, lightly toasted
Oil to grease tins
4 small metal pie pots, or bread tin
1. Preheat oven to 200C/Gas Mark 5.
2. Place nut roast mixture in a bowl and combine well with the water. Set aside to soak for 20 mins.
3. Meanwhile, cut up the tofu (also available from Suma Wholefoods) and toast the pinenuts in a small frying pan (just turn them over on a medium heat, use no oil, but watch them as they can burn easily).
4. Grease the individual pie pots or whichever tin you are using.
5. After letting the nut roast sit, mix in the cranberries, tofu and pinenuts. Season with salt.
6. Spoon the mixture into the pots with a tablespoon. Press it down firmly and smooth over the tops.
7. Bake for 15 mins. Remove from the oven and check the roasts are cooked. If they need a little more browning, return to the oven for another 5 mins.
8. To remove the roasts from the tins, slot a metal palette knife in and around the edge of each to ease them away.
9. Place a saucer on the top of each, then turn upside town to tip out carefully.
10. Serve with lots of lovely homemade vegan gravy, roast potatoes and veg.