Filo pastry really is a handy ingredient to have in the fridge, to team with some vegetables and create something quick, delicious and impressive looking.
These Mediterranean Vegetable Filo Puffs tick all the boxes; the pastry is light and crispy and the filling nutritious and full of flavour. The star ingredients are Violife Mozzarella style vegan cheese and some juicy Semi-Dried Tomatoes, from Cooks and Co, both available from Suma Wholefoods.
Serve with seasonal salad and new potatoes.
Mediterranean Vegetable Filo Puffs
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1/4 red pepper, finely chopped
1/4 courgette, finely chopped
1 tsp capers, chopped,
4 cherry tomatoes, chopped
6 Cooks and Co Semi-Dried Tomatoes, finely chopped (available from Suma)
1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs
2 cm block of Violife Mozzarella finely chopped
6 large sheets of filo pastry
Salt and pepper
1. Pre heat your oven to 200C or Gas Mark 6. Grease 4 small metal pie pots or ramekins (I used a pastry brush with oil).
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan, and cook the garlic and onion for a minute, before adding the pepper, courgette, capers and tomatoes.
3. Fry on a medium heat until all the veg are soft. Season with the herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
4. Stuff one sheet of filo pastry roughly inside each metal pie tin or ramekin, making a well in the middle for the vegetables, but with some pastry coming up the sides to form a case.
5. Spoon the filling equally between the 4 pie tins, then sprinkle the vegan cheese on the top. Press it all down a little.
6. Crumple up half a piece of filo pastry on the top on each pie to create a broken pastry top. Drizzle with a little more oil.
7. Place on an oven tray and bake for 20 mins, until golden and crispy.
8. Allow to cool slightly, before turning out onto plates with the help of a pallet knife.